Saturday, November 24, 2012

thankfulness

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love it for the same reason I love Christmas, but Thanksgiving is absent of the regrettable expectation of a slew of presents. Both are tradition-based holidays and annual traditions are the most comforting events of the year. Every year on Thanksgiving morning I know how the day will go. Two things always happen: football will be on TV all day after the Parades are over, and DINNER. Thanksgiving dinner tastes as good as it does because we expect it to do so. And because drowning an entire meal in gravy makes anything delicious, but back to the point. Every year my dad, the cook of the family, does the turkey, mashes the potatoes, amalgamates the gravy (bits of turkey in a hot bath. Gravy must be hot! as my father's mother says), and steams the green beans. The green beans are never anything special in terms of taste but they are nonetheless as important to me as the turkey. It's a tradition to me now, to have the green beans. It's an integral part of the meal that I look forward to all day. Thanksgiving gives me exactly what I expect and this constant is comforting. Comfort food makes people feel good because it is the same every time and reminds them of happy traditions. Thanksgiving is a great day because it is the same every time and that is always welcome.

In my philosophy class (because that is the topic this week? Mr. McCarthy?) I'm thankful for anyone who talks, and is active in the discussion. I need people to argue and respond to what I say or I'll just ramble myself into illogical thoughts. I'm thankful for those who stop me and help me say what I mean and think more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment